Sunday, May 2, 2010

I love Month-a-versaries!

In technical terms celebrating your anniversary every months is impossible so I call it our monthaversary. Today happens to be Jon and my's 4th month as a married couple!! It has been the most amazing 4 months of my life. We were lucky enough to have our first 3 months together. I know that a lot of times that is not the case so I am first and foremost very thankful for the excess amount of time Jonathan and I have gotten together.
It is looking like we will get the majority of this first year together once he gets back in 16 days! (Fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed, ANYTHING it takes<3)

I feel like telling a story with this one. I haven't given any long blogs lately. If anyone needs a little inspiration to get them through then this blog might be for you. We'll see how it turns out.

March of last year I was in Myrtle Beach. For those of you who don't know, that is 2 hours away from our home now. While I was there Jon was waiting to be picked up and shipped off to boot camp at Parris Island in South Carolina. I had missed being able to kiss him goodbye. Yea, we kissed before I left for vacation but it's not the same. It didn't hit me until I was in my hotel room that I was not going to be able to talk to him other than letters for 3 months.
I was out to dinner and feeling pretty miserable. When we got back to the room I felt like I needed to get on facebook, so I did. Not .5 seconds later I get a facebook chat from JONATHAN!! My heart fluttered, my mind raced. I was excited and nervous all at the same time. All he said was hey baby. We got to talk for a little while because his flight got delayed and they were staying in Albany over night. This immediately made me cry. If I just didn't come on this stupid vacation I could have drove the 45 minutes to Albany and been in his arms. I hated myself but loved that I got extra time to talk to him.
The next day he was gone. Shipped out for 3 months of hell. A week later I arrived home. It was bittersweet since I knew he wasn't there. When I walked into my room I saw a pile of things on my bed. I immediately ran over and saw that it was his things. He left me his camp blanket and some things to make me feel like he is closer. He also wrote me a letter. Our first letter of so many. I cried myself to sleep. All I could think about was how terrible this was going to be.
3 weeks went by without hearing anything from him. I went to school and work and home. I always checked the mail immediately. If I couldn't get to it first I would call home and ask. One day I came home and my mom was smiling. I knew I had gotten a letter. She handed me my letter and I ripped it open and read it twice. I was soooo happy. Then she handed me another one!! I did the same thing. THEN she handed me ANOTHER ONE!!! I had received 3 letters from Jonathan!! Let me tell you, this was the happiest day of my life. He didn't seem really depressed like I thought. He just missed me a whole lot and told me how much he loved me. He tried to inform me the best he could on things he was doing. I was surprised he was such an amazing writer.
I wrote him at least 1 letter a day for 3 months. I told him what I had done that day and how much I missed and loved him. Those letters were everything.
3 months and some 50 letters from him later I was with my soon to be mother in law and father in law on our way to South Carolina!!! We drove what felt like days. We got there the day before family day. I went to bed early that night so I could wake up and see his moto run. Well, that was cancelled due to stormy weather but family day wasn't!! We got packed into this gymnasium. There were family members everywhere. It looked like everyone had the same shirt on. The one that says " a United States Marine!" I thought, stupid me I should have gotten one! But oh well, I stood out like a sore thumb and it was probably a good thing.
I sat down and when I looked up i saw his gar don (I believe thats what its called). 3046. The number I had written on countless envelopes. My heart sank. I was about to see my other half after 3 long months!!! Then the door started to open. That started it. My heart sped up to like 1000 beats a second. My head got light. My tears wouldn't stop. I just stood there frozen. They marched in. I stared and stared and stared. I couldn't find him. He told me he was 1st column, and 1st in the 3rd row. He warned me that the guy in front of him looked exactly like him. He was right. I cried when I saw his look a like and then even harder when I saw him. It took them forever to announce everything they needed to announce. Finally, I heard it. They were released but I couldn't move. Not until his mother gave me a nice push from behind and told me if I didn't go she was. HAHA. That was all it took. I ran to him. I pushed through everyone and I tackled him. I held on for a very long time. It felt so good to feel him wrapped around me. He had to ask me if I was alright because I couldn't breath. Of course I was I just couldn't stop crying. We spent that entire day walking around base and listening to him talk about the past 3 months. We were so shocked at how much he talked. He didn't stop. It was great<3
I had to say goodbye but it wasn't too awful because the next day I knew I got to take him home. I went to bed with a smile on my face and when I woke up it was my birthday!!! YUPP!! Jonathan graduated boot camp June 19, 2009. Simultaneously I turned 19 and I made sure EVERYONE knew about it. I had a shirt made that said It's my birthday on the front and I got a Marine on the back. It was a hit let me tell you! I had marines stopping to wish me a happy birthday, women saying they wished it was theirs so they could wear the shirt, and best of all, I got my man<3
He worked so hard so that he could be my birthday present. I am so proud of him. That was the happiest day of my life<3

Almost a year since he graduated and here we are. Soooo in love, so happy, and married!! At the time I thought boot camp was the end of my world. Really it was just the beginning. It flew by and so will everything else that we do. Before we know it we will be married a year and I will think about this day. How incredibly happy I was even though he isn't here with me.

My husband sent me flowers earlier this week for our monthaversary. I received 2 dozen unopened lilies. Today, my last lily opened up and is the most magnificent pink. Even if he can't physically be with me he always knows how to express that he loves me and misses me. I still have all of those letters and I will forever.

I Love You Mr. Sykes<3

Semper Fi<3


  1. Great story!! Last summer while I was visiting my mom, I found all of our old letters from boot camp. We read a few and had to put them away because they were so mushy!! I watched my Marine graduate boot camp 7 years ago!! Can't believe it's been so long. Your story made me remember that awesome day!

  2. That is so awesome! My bf graduated bootcamp exactly a week after I turned 19. I wished he would have graduated on my bday though lol :)

  3. 一定要保持最佳狀況呦,加油!!!期待你發表的新文章!........................................

  4. I love that shirt!! This story brings back so many memories of me and Mike from when he was first in boot camp and when he first left. Mike graduated a few days after my 19th birthday. But, I still counted that as my birthday present. =)

  5. Love love love love love it! That whole post was one long awww moment!


Thank you for commenting! I love reading your opinions, love, and support. I'm working at getting better at replying to each one of you. If you don't have your email linked to your account feel free to leave it so I can reply. Thanks! :-)